Bethany Dillon has been one of my favorite artists since I was first introduced to her at the age of 14 (she, at the time, was only 15.) Because we're so close in age, I've always been able to relate to the lyrics of her songs. I've found this to be especially true for her latest album, "Stop & Listen." It's ridiculous how much this cd has blessed me in the past few weeks. Many of the songs on the album talk about busyness, an issue that, as a college student, I definitely struggle with.
"Stop and Listen"
I wake up, start the rush and pour some coffee
Things to do pile up oh so quickly
Too many days I feel like I run on empty
Does anyone else out there feel like me?
But I’d be a fool to forfeit
The chance to take a moment
For You to rise like the dawn
Over my cold, tired heart
What I thought I had lost
Finds me when I stop and listen
It’s the same slowing down lesson we all learn
But I don’t pay much attention 'til I crash and burn
So all together
Let’s stop and sit at His feet
My sisters and brothers
He will rise like the dawn
over my cold, tired
What I thought I had lost
finds me when I stop and listen.
This semester, I have had to significantly give up things and simply say no, which is very hard for me to do. Yet, it seems that the more thing I give up, the busier I am. Lately I've felt that commitments to schoolwork, ministries, and relationships seem to suck me dry. And I'm not even a "real adult" yet! In a few years, I will (hopefully) have to balance a very time-consuming career and a family on top of all the above listed things. Tonght I bought a devotional book called "Devotions for Women on the Go." Go ahead, laugh. Because I even grimace at the name of it*. The book is not "quick" grab-n-go readings, but slightly more in-depth studies for 'the 21st Century Woman.'* Even though this book is probably designed for ladies 30+, I am excited. And again, I am starting to feel old.
I was flipping through my bible the other day, and I ran across a passage with the words "Replentish" written out to the side (notes from a staff meeting at camp this past summer):
Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray. Later Simon and the others went out to find him. When they found him, they said, 'Everyone is looking for you.' But Jesus replied, 'We must go on to the other towns as well, and I will preach to them, too. That is why I came.' So he traveled throughout the region of Galilee, preaching in the synagouges and casting out demons. Luke 4:35-39
Even Jesus had to take time to replentish. Rejuvinate. Refuel. Refresh. We are not Energizer bunnies. We can't just keep going and going without time spent resting and recharning through the Word of God. So take a breather. Slow down and talk to God. Stop and listen.*
*I have a hesitation for 'cheesy Christian products' that I often refer to as 'Toliet devotionals'. You know, those awful tiny devotional books with nature scenes and cursive script on the cover that people keep on top of their toilets, right next to the Guideposts. That sounds awful, I know. But seriously, yuck.
*Also known as the tired woman who tries to please everyone and feels like a failure when she can't. For a more in-depth opinion on this woman who strives to live up to Proverbs 31, read Captivating.
*This post was too long. If you read the whole thing, I am very impressed.
2 comments:
Not too long- wonderful. I think Stop and Listen is one of my favorite songs on her new album. I am glad you got it :)
I am also laughing at "replintish." Not sure if you spelled replenish like that on purpose or... :)
you are wonderful. i just wrote on your facebook wall, i promise i'm not a stalker...
bethany dillon will be in benton on december 11 or 12. with shane and shane and phil wickham. i'm going. so should you.
Post a Comment